OBJECTIVES: To assess whether multislice computed tomography coronary angiography (MSCTA) may be useful for risk stratification of patients with suspected coronary artery disease (CAD) at intermediate pretest likelihood according to Diamond and Forrester. Main Outcome Measures: A combined end point of all-cause mortality, non-fatal infarction and unstable angina requiring revascularisation.
METHOD: MSCTA images were evaluated for the presence of significant CAD in 316 patients with suspected CAD (60% male, average (SD) age 57 (11) years) and an intermediate pretest likelihood according to Diamond and Forrester. Patients were followed up to determine the occurrence of an event.
RESULTS: Significant CAD was seen in 89 patients (28%), whereas normal MSCTA or non-significant CAD was seen in the remaining 227 (72%) patients. During follow-up (median 621 days (25-75th centile 408-835) an event occurred in 13 patients (4.8%). The annualised event rate was 0.8% in patients with normal MSCT, 2.2% in patients with non-significant CAD and 6.5% in patients with significant CAD. Moreover, MSCTA remained a significant predictor (p<0.05) of events after multivariate correction (hazard ratio = 3.460 (95% CI 1.142 to 10.480).
CONCLUSIONS: The results suggest that in patients with an intermediate pretest likelihood, MSCTA is highly effective in re-stratifying patients into either a low or high post-test risk group. These results further emphasise the usefulness of non-invasive imaging with MSCTA in this patient population.
Lady Davis Carmel Medical Center
Latest posts by Ronen Rubinshtein (see all)
- Fractional Flow Reserve Calculation From 3-Dimensional Quantitative Coronary Angiography and TIMI Frame Count: A Fast Computer Model to Quantify the Functional Significance of Moderately Obstructed Coronary Arteries - September 4, 2014
- Iterative Model Reconstruction: Improved Image Quality of Low-Tube-Voltage Prospective ECG-Gated Coronary CT Angiography Images at 256-Slice CT - June 1, 2014
- Optimizing Image Contrast Display Improves Quantitative Stenosis Measurement in Heavily Calcified Coronary Arterial Segments on Coronary CT Angiography: A Proof-of-Concept and Comparison to Quantitative Invasive Coronary Angiography - May 12, 2014